December 10, 2009

Insta Gone...Say It Ain't So!

Insta-Gone.  It was a HUGE infomercial hit about a decade ago.  The demos can be truly amazing....instant obliteration of mold and mildew!  Unfortunately, this spot leaves much to be desired.  This is at least the second time Insta-Gone has been tested this year, and it doesn't look like it's going to make a comeback anytime soon.  Maybe if the marketers were to really wow us with the spot, we might be more apt to buy.

Here's where this spot falls apart:
  • The cleanest surfaces in the entire spot appear in the "problem" intro!...it's all downhill from there.
  • "Spray it on...stains are gone" - fantastic tagline!  Unfortunately, it accompanies low budget, unbelievable animation.  This is the opportunity to really pull the audience with a wow demo...by now, you've lost half of them.
  • Wait...if the product "works like magic"...if it works instantly, why are 99% of the demos before/afters?  Again, you've lost me.  The product has no credibility, and we're only 40 seconds in.
  • Dirty patio furniture?  Is it?  It doesn't look to bad to me.  A paper towel should do the trick.
  • Testimonials.  Ahhh, the tried and true way of convincing consumers that a product really works.  The problem is that in a powerful cleaning product spot like this, the testimonials are meaningless until you show me the product working.  Wow me first, then build credibility.  By now, I'm yawning, but only because I'm too lazy to search out the remote control to change the channel.
  • I do like the offer.  The value is great, but by this point, I've already given up.
I don't mean to be overly negative, but that's why you pay me, right?  Let me know what you think.  So much potential...just left on the table...


Email Readers Click Here!

0 comments:

Post a Comment