March 4, 2009

Billy Mays on Jay Leno

I'm normally quicker to catch things like this, but a couple weeks back, Billy Mays appeared on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno. It's a rare chance to catch Billy in his original, off-the-cuff ways. You can tell that a lot of this is unscripted, and that's where Billy's at his finest! Over the past 18 months, Billy Mays has had a lot of successes, and this is a fun way to see them all. If you've ever wondered what infomercials would be like if they were written by Shakespeare (which I wondered every time I fell asleep in my English Literature class in undergrad), this video link is the answer.

Billy Mays also did a promo video for "Livemercial," a consummate "DR" company. It's a spoof on The Office...which just happens to be my favorite TV show. What a perfect combination! This link hasn't gotten that many hits...it's a bit cheesy...but for people like us, there a few YouTube videos that are more appropriate. Perhaps more importantly, though the video isn't the funniest I've seen (nothing like the Tiddy Bear or the "In a Snuggie" music video from my previous entries), it satisfies my curiosity, if only slightly, to see what it would be like to work in one of the companies behind this glorious industry...I know this is a spoof, but if you pay very close attention, you can see some of the real work going on in the background. If you're like me, and you've glamourized in your mind how exciting it would be to work in one of these companies, perhaps you shouldn't watch this video...I'll leave that decision up to you...

BTW, I've finally added an email link so you can email me your questions and comments. I'll be sure to post the most creative.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting the Billy Mays video. I watch Leno on a regular basis but I must have fallen asleep or missed this segment. Some of these parodies are hilarious.

Anonymous said...

I also saw Billy Mays on Jay Leno.....I could be mistaken, but do you think he was a little peeved at Martin Short?

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I meant Dana Carvey, not Martin Short!

Post a Comment